Sunday, July 26, 2009

Too Cool



My daughter is something else. She frustrates me sometimes but she makes me laugh most of the time. She is almost 3 and still sucks on a pacifier. There are many mothers out there who are thinking what a horrible idea this is and why did I let it go on this long. The answer is this: I haven't been up for the fight. She is a tense little kid and shows no signs of being prepared to detach herself from her paci. I don't really know what to do. My neighbors told me the attached their child's pacifier to a balloon and let the child send it away with a note. There is NO WAY Zoe would ever be cool with that right now not to mention we have like 6 pacifiers laying around for Jude too so saying good bye to 1 isn't going to work. I've kind of adopted the idea that every child is different and true success as a parent is learning and doing what is best for each child individually. Is is wrong that I haven't taken away her pacifier yet? She is going to need braces anyway, right?

6 comments:

Amy Coontz said...

My friends little boy was almost 5, and he is perfectly normal!! I seem to remember a girl that sucked her thumb or fingers til she was pretty old!?!?

Amy Coontz said...

Oh, but just be ready for the looks and comments if you are in public! One thing I did with the little boy I babysit is that he could only have it in his bed. So if he was upset and wanted it, he would go to his bed and suck on it til he wanted to come out.

Tamara Atkin said...

You are definitely going to have to break her and Jude at the same time. My vote is do it as soon as Jude is good with a cup. Then it will be less of a struggle with him at least. I never really gave my kids pacifiers, because
I heard it was hard to break. Just the one from the hospital for a couple of weeks. I like Amy's idea with the bed because my kids hate being in bed and that's how I weaned from nursing. Go to bed and naptitme only and then just stop once the attachment lessens.

paul&chelsey said...

I think it's perfectly fine- my boy is two and I haven't made him give up the bottle. It's not worth the fight to me either! I want to see more of your house! More pics please....

paul&chelsey said...

I think it's perfectly fine- my boy is two and I haven't made him give up the bottle. It's not worth the fight to me either! I want to see more of your house! More pics please....

Elise said...

Pacifiers are the best.