Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Mattress Drama




I don't know if it is a sign of getting old, but Jamin and I have back problems. I've had them since I started working as a dental hygienist. What we are experiencing now is mattress distress. My cheapy mattress that I've had since before we were married was hard as a rock. I loved it! For whatever reason this summer my love turned to hate. It was unbelievably too hard. I would not be able to sleep through the night and by morning I'd have a headache. I was so troubled because I went on a 2 week cruise and never woke up once during the night. I also slept through the night at a Sheraton once. I know I sound like an infant but seriously how annoying is it to get a few times a night? The fact that on some other beds I didn't wake up proved that it wasn't me but perhaps something else...? Mattress? Tossing and turning spouse? Anyway, if anyone has ever gone mattress shopping you know what a joke it is. All of the mattresses are ridiculously over priced and unfortunately there really is no 1 perfect mattress. The process of finding what mattress is right for you is a long an painful process better accomplished without a toddler in tow. Our first replacement mattress we bought at Macy's. They had 2 years 0% fin. so we thought that was the place to go. We were in so much pain that we were willing to spend any amount to feel better. We bought a top of the line Simmons Beauty Rest. It has 800 coils and tons of latex(which is all the craze now supposedly longer lasting than memory foam). What we liked most about the Simmons is the fact that the motion transfer is absorbed by all of the coils. Unfortunately, the mattress with all of it's technology did not heal my headaches or help me stop waking up at night. Because it didn't make me feel better there was no justification in the price so luckily for us Macy's has a return policy, so back it went. Our next stop was at Leed's matterss. We found a mattress half the price of the first mattress. I picked out the softest mattress there and slept headache free for 60 nights. The down side to the mattress is my body impression was already engraved in the mattress. Worst than that, Jamin practically sunk into the mattress. He said it was like laying in a hamik(sp?). Leed's doesn't let you return your matterss but you can exchange it with a 20% restocking fee. So back again to pick out another matterss. 5 hours later we selected another Simmons but a lower level or tiered model half the price of the first matterss we picked out. Luckily for us Efrin, the store manager just did a straight trade without a restocking fee. Thank you Efrin! At long last we have found our perfect mattress! Zoë has been sick these last weeks and has been waking up in the night so I haven't truly experienced a good nights sleep yet, but it feels great and I'm not waking up on my own. Hooray!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have a new episode of mattress drama to bring to your attention...
Because supply has quickly overtaken demand in the mattress market, cheap memory foam mattresses are now widely available for around the same cost as equivilants - which means there has never been a better time to get into memory foam - if you've never slept on one then you seriously don't know what you're missing...

sleep tight

Unknown said...

Thanks for a very interesting blog. What else may I get that kind of info written in such a perfect approach? I’ve a undertaking that I am simply now operating on, and I have been at the look out for such info. Best Mattresses According to consumer reports testing​